Monday, December 29, 2008

Vote for Jack Waters

(To Enlarge Slideshow - double click on photo)


Thank you for taking the time to check this blog. Ole Miss is celebrating their 100 years of college basketball. One of the ways the University Sports Information department is recognizing this historical milestone is by having SPORTS FANS vote for ten (10) previous Ole Miss Basketball players to the All-Century Team.

If you will take a brief look at Jack Waters Individual Basketball Records and how he is currently ranked in the Ole Miss Record book, forty-eight years later, you can see for yourself that he is deserving of a position on this once in a lifetime team. Jack played Varsity Basketball at Ole Miss from 1958-1961, a time when freshmen were not eligible to play Varsity sports as they now are. Despite the addition of the 3 point shot line to basketball in 1990 and that Ole Miss now plays more games per season, Jack’s scoring average per game, 19.5ppg, still stands at the 5th best in the Ole Miss Record book. Also in the record book, his sophomore per game scoring average is ranked 2nd at 18.6ppg. While his junior and senior year stand at 9th with 20.0 ppg and 8th with 20.4 point per game average. In total career scored points he is ranked at #11 with 1,384 points. Additional Information worth noting about Jack:

1. Voted into the Ole Miss Athletic Hall of Fame
2. Named to the All-SEC Teams in 1959, 1960, and 1961
3. Named as one of the Top 20 USA players in 1960
4. Led the nation in free throws percentage in 1960 with a 87.3% accuracy
5. Professionally: Drafted by the Cincinatti Royals by the NBA/Drafted by Kansas City Steers of the ABL. Signed with Cincinatti.

HOW YOU CAN HELP: It will only take a moment!!!
1. Sport fans are asked to go to the Ole Miss Sports information website at www.olemisssports.com, and click on the All-Century Team Link located on the right hand-side of the screen (underneath the link for the Cotton Bowl.

2. At this point you will see two links for Read Bios and Cast Ballot. Click on cast ballot.
3. You will be asked to vote for your Top Ten (10) choices from a list of 40 candidates. The selection list represents those Rebels that earned All-SEC honors or scored 1,000 or more points in their career.
4. The voting opened December 10th and ends January 31st, 2009.
5. Limit your selection to TEN (10)
6. Submit only one ballot per person. I really appreciate you taking the time to vote. This is quite a big honor and I am excited for the opportunity to be a part of it. I would also appreciate your continued support by forwarding this to family and friends.

Thank you.


To make a comment, click on the Comments link below.

16 comments:

kewaters8 said...

I am proud of you daddy! Love your blog! :)

Anonymous said...

You do it Mr.Jack! We're proud of you! (You the man)

Anonymous said...

Top 10? That's an easy one. You got my vote! I even have a reel of game video that even proves you're a hot dog!

Good luck, Dad!
Love,
Dude

Anonymous said...

Jack was the best player to ever come out of Madison, Ind. in H.S. and one of the best at Ole Miss.

I have known him for 54 years and he is still the same as always, the best of the best!!!

Anonymous said...

The following is an excerpt from the Madison Courier who published this article on January 6th, below is also a link to Madison Courier's online version:

http://madisoncourier.com/main.asp?SectionID=18&SubSectionID=289&ArticleID=48460

Former Cub Waters considered for Ole Miss All-Century Team
Played for coach Ritter in 1950s

Courier Sports Staff

Former Madison Cub Jack Waters is among several players being considered for the University of Mississippi's All-Century Basketball Team.

Waters played three seasons for the Cubs, graduating in 1957. He then headed to Mississippi, where he spent three years as a starter and set numerous school records. He is still among the statistical leaders in Ole Miss history despite playing at a time when freshmen were not eligible and before adoption of the 3-point line.

In three years at Ole Miss, Waters averaged 19.5 points per game which is till fifth-best in school history. He is also second in scoring average by a sophomore (18.6), ninth by a junior (20.0) and eighth as a senior (20.4).

Waters' 1,384 career points rank 11th on Mississippi's all-time list. He led the nation in free throw percentage in 1960 at 87.3 percent.

Waters, who has already been inducted into the Ole Miss Hall of Fame, was an all-Southeastern Conference selection in each of his three varsity seasons and was named as one of the top 20 players in the nation in 1960. He was drafted by both the Cincinnati Royals of the NBA and the Kansas City Steers of the ABA, eventually signing with a Royals franchise that already included Hoosier great Oscar Robertson drafted a year earlier.

At Madison, Waters played three years for legendary coach Julius "Bud" Ritter and was a member of the Cubs' 1957 sectional championship team. He averaged 18.0 points per game as a senior, scoring 33 points against Aurora in 1957. He was an all-sectional, all-regional and all-conference performer as a senior and was named to The Madison Courier's All-Century Team in 2000.

Fans can cast ballots to determine the members of the Ole Miss All-Century Team online at www.olemisssports.com. Voting ends Jan. 31.

The Brocks said...

Great Job Dad!

You're the man!

Kindra

Anonymous said...

Wasn't around for the basketball era...but he sure can hit a golf ball!

Anonymous said...

Jack, I know the Rebels were proud back in the day when you were on the court. It's only right to continue a tradition so make them proud as an Ole Miss ALL-Century. I'm very proud to know you as my friend.

Anonymous said...

Jack, I am proud of you and know that you have made a difference in my son Marques mentoring him while he attended AUM. He is a fan of yours and that is tops in my book. Goooo Jack!

Divia Forbes
Duluth, GA

A-1 Fitness & M-Spa and Therapy said...

Coach Jack Waters,

just wanted to say that those were some short basketball shorts you had back in 1958 :) it has been a blessing to have known you and to witness the passion you have for the game...thanks for enhancing my knowledge on the game, which in turn allowed me to enhance as a young adult. you have my vote... hey jack, remember this one "you the man!!!" ?

Anonymous said...

I remember him from being in 8th grade at Tucker and alwayss being the coolest!!!!!

Linda Waters Gowen said...

Uncle Jack,

We are proud of you for all of your accomplishments on and off the court. I have all of our family, friends, colleagues, and Tennis Team members voting for you.

Great job with the blog!
Love,
Linda

Linda Waters Gowen said...

To all who look at this page, add the link to your facebook and myspace pages!

Thank you,
Linda

Anonymous said...

Here is an article taken from: http://www.cherokeeherald.com/pages/full_story?page_label=home_top_stories_latest&article-Centre-resident-Waters-hoping-for-spot-on-Ole-Miss-All-Century-Basketball-Team%20=&id=1466442-Centre-resident-Waters-hoping-for-spot-on-Ole-Miss-All-Century-Basketball-Team&widget=push&instance=home_latest_bullets&open=&

Centre resident Waters hoping for spot on Ole Miss All-Century Basketball Team:

Centre resident Jack Waters is among the candidates for the Ole Miss All-Century Basketball Team.

It’s a Christmas present 70-year-old Centre resident Jack Waters won’t soon forget. On Christmas Eve, Waters found out he was a candidate for the Ole Miss All-Century Basketball Team.

Waters, who played at forward/guard for the Rebels from 1959-61, learned of his nomination on the school’s website. He was amazed his basketball biography was among all the other instrumental individuals in the program’s history.

"Just to be nominated as one of the 40 for 10 positions is something," Waters said. "I thought everyone would forget me since it’s been 48 years since I’ve played. I did not know I did all of those things until I pulled it up (on the website)."

Fans can review bios of those individuals nominated and cast ballots for their 10 choices to the Ole Miss All-Century Team online at www.olemisssports.com. Voting ends Jan. 31 and the team will be revealed on Feb. 21.

In his three years at Ole Miss, Waters averaged 19.5 points per game, which is fifth-best in school history. He is also second in scoring average by a sophomore (18.6), ninth by a junior (20.0) and eighth as a senior (20.4).

Waters’ 1,384 career points rank him 11th on Mississippi’s all-time scoring list. He also led the nation in free throw percentage in 1960 at 87.3 percent. He was named as one of the top 20 players in the U.S. in 1960 and was a three-time all-Southeastern Conference selection.

After his playing days with the Rebels, Waters was drafted by both the Cincinnati Royals of the NBA and the Kansas City Steers of the ABA. He signed with the Royals and played with basketball great Oscar Robertson.

Waters, who is from Gilbertown, Ala., went on to become a basketball coach at Delta State and Georgia State. He was also an assistant coach at Georgia Tech.

All of Waters’ accomplishments helped him earn a spot in the Ole Miss Hall of Fame in 1990.

It’s still evident Waters hasn’t lost his competitive juices, either. With the help of his son and daughter, Jos and Kim Edison, Waters has set up his own personal website (http://rebeljackwaters.blogspot.com) to help campaign and earn one of the 10 spots on the All-Century Team.

"Everybody needs something to commit to," Waters said. "At my age, to compete and make something would be a joy."

In addition to making his basketball dreams come true, Waters has also had two personal goals he’s always wanted to accomplish: driving a commercial truck to Alaska and playing golf in Scotland.

Waters has earned his truck license, and has traveled throughout the U.S. and a large portion of Canada. He has yet to venture as far as Alaska.

Waters’ other goal has come true. He played golf in Edinburgh with his son several years ago.

But for now, Waters’ attention is focused on making the Ole Miss All-Century Team.

"I can’t sleep at all," Waters said. "I feel like I’m running for office, but you’ve got to get the word out there. I’m hoping to generate enough votes to do so. If I don’t make the effort, it’s something I’ll always regret. If I do, then I’ll know I at least tried."

Anonymous said...

Here is an article taken from: http://www.cherokeeherald.com/pages/full_story?page_label=home_top_stories_latest&article-Centre-resident-Waters-hoping-for-spot-on-Ole-Miss-All-Century-Basketball-Team%20=&id=1466442-Centre-resident-Waters-hoping-for-spot-on-Ole-Miss-All-Century-Basketball-Team&widget=push&instance=home_latest_bullets&open=&

Centre resident Waters hoping for spot on Ole Miss All-Century Basketball Team:

Centre resident Jack Waters is among the candidates for the Ole Miss All-Century Basketball Team.

It’s a Christmas present 70-year-old Centre resident Jack Waters won’t soon forget. On Christmas Eve, Waters found out he was a candidate for the Ole Miss All-Century Basketball Team.

Waters, who played at forward/guard for the Rebels from 1959-61, learned of his nomination on the school’s website. He was amazed his basketball biography was among all the other instrumental individuals in the program’s history.

"Just to be nominated as one of the 40 for 10 positions is something," Waters said. "I thought everyone would forget me since it’s been 48 years since I’ve played. I did not know I did all of those things until I pulled it up (on the website)."

Fans can review bios of those individuals nominated and cast ballots for their 10 choices to the Ole Miss All-Century Team online at www.olemisssports.com. Voting ends Jan. 31 and the team will be revealed on Feb. 21.

In his three years at Ole Miss, Waters averaged 19.5 points per game, which is fifth-best in school history. He is also second in scoring average by a sophomore (18.6), ninth by a junior (20.0) and eighth as a senior (20.4).

Waters’ 1,384 career points rank him 11th on Mississippi’s all-time scoring list. He also led the nation in free throw percentage in 1960 at 87.3 percent. He was named as one of the top 20 players in the U.S. in 1960 and was a three-time all-Southeastern Conference selection.

After his playing days with the Rebels, Waters was drafted by both the Cincinnati Royals of the NBA and the Kansas City Steers of the ABA. He signed with the Royals and played with basketball great Oscar Robertson.

Waters, who is from Gilbertown, Ala., went on to become a basketball coach at Delta State and Georgia State. He was also an assistant coach at Georgia Tech.

All of Waters’ accomplishments helped him earn a spot in the Ole Miss Hall of Fame in 1990.

It’s still evident Waters hasn’t lost his competitive juices, either. With the help of his son and daughter, Jos and Kim Edison, Waters has set up his own personal website (http://rebeljackwaters.blogspot.com) to help campaign and earn one of the 10 spots on the All-Century Team.

"Everybody needs something to commit to," Waters said. "At my age, to compete and make something would be a joy."

In addition to making his basketball dreams come true, Waters has also had two personal goals he’s always wanted to accomplish: driving a commercial truck to Alaska and playing golf in Scotland.

Waters has earned his truck license, and has traveled throughout the U.S. and a large portion of Canada. He has yet to venture as far as Alaska.

Waters’ other goal has come true. He played golf in Edinburgh with his son several years ago.

But for now, Waters’ attention is focused on making the Ole Miss All-Century Team.

"I can’t sleep at all," Waters said. "I feel like I’m running for office, but you’ve got to get the word out there. I’m hoping to generate enough votes to do so. If I don’t make the effort, it’s something I’ll always regret. If I do, then I’ll know I at least tried."

Anonymous said...

I know you deserve the recognition as one of the ten best all time at Ole Miss because I played with you. It was a pleasure then, and a thrill now believing you will rep- resent the Rebs from the good ole days (1957-1961). We'll always remember one "rainy night in Georgia". Your playing buddy Wag. Hotty Toddy!